Metal Detecting Code of Ethics
1. Ask permission first.
2. Respect the rights and property of others.
3. Observe all laws, whether national, state or local. Aid law enforcement officials whenever possible.
4. Never destroy priceless, historical or archeological treasures.
5. Leave the land and vegetation as it was. Fill in all holes.
6. Remove all trash and litter when you leave.
7. All treasure hunters may be judged by the example you set. Always conduct yourself with courtesy and consideration for others.
8. Remember, all you want to leave behind are your footprints.
A few more rules to follow:
9. When coin shooting never dig a full circle plug. Cut a half round plug and hinge it up and over to retrieve the target. After tamping the half round plug down.
10. Use a ground cloth for any dirt that is pulled out of the hole. It will keep the dirt out of the grass and is easier and faster to pour back in.
11. When relic hunting, cover all holes! It doesn’t matter if relic hunting in the woods, a cornfield or pasture, cover the holes back up.
12. When relic hunting, carry out the rusted iron junk found.
13. In this club, we will not use grave digger shovels, only small spades and hand diggers.